Long history in small companies working with C-level executives and upper management to flesh out preliminary business ideas, and turn those ideas into products, with a experienced eye towards reducing total cost of ownership of the products developed.
Functional Geekery October 2013 – Present
- Host of Functional Geekery (https://www.functionalgeekery.com), a podcast exploring topics in and around functional programming and functional programming languages.
- Media Sponsor of multiple conferences including conferences such as CodeMesh, Erlang Factory, Erlang User Conference, LambdaDays, and PolyConf.
- Outreach and coordination of potential guests and sponsors.
- Responsible for management of podcast web site.
DFW BEAMers User Group January 2013 – Present
- Rebranded from DFW Erlang User Group to DFW BEAMers to include participation from the growing Elixir community.
- Coordination of monthly recurring meetings to discuss topics related to the greater Erlang ecosystem.
TripCase April 2016 – Present
- Created release artifacts for back-end Ruby on Rails Application ensuring repeatable deploys and consistency between Internal, Certification, and Production environments.
- Setup a out-of-commission traffic signal hooked up to our back-end Jenkins build process as information radiator of main-line build status.
TripCase October 2014 – April 2016
- Reduced session initialization timings of mobile application by a factor of 4.
- Created release artifacts for front-end Single Page Application ensuring repeatable deploys and consistency between Internal, Certification, and Production environments.
- Prototyped a multi-lingual airline lookup service in 24 hours using Elixir with a response time that was over 100 times quicker than Google’s front page, to show how a multi-language service could be developed.
- Initiated a Programming Languages Study Group to learn ideas from languages we wouldn’t be using everyday and understand how those ideas can be pulled back to improve our daily work.
- Integrated code style checks into automated build process to reduce bickering between team members about coding style during code reviews, allowing reviewers to focus their efforts on reviewing the design and fit-for-purpose of code developed for a feature.
Simpli.fi October 2012 – October 2014
- Improved application’s use of database interactions to result in a net-savings of 1000+ minutes of processing every hour.
- Designed and developed web services as part of a Real Time Bidding infrastructure.
- Implemented processes to reduce the number of defects that get deployed to production.
- Instrumented performance metrics to be able to track trends and associate changes in performance with release timings, giving development team early warning of issues.
- Took multiple applications from manual multi-step deployment to a repeatable deploy across multiple servers via a single command for each, drastically reducing the chance of error in deployment.
- Architected solution for traceability of events across multiple systems.
OZ Systems January 2012 – September 2012
- Refurbished reports for over 200,000 students to run from 35 minutes to under 10 seconds.
- Re-architected import system, reducing completion time from 3 days to under 10 minutes.
- Mentored teammates on simplifying object design and composable behavior.
- Identified, and addressed, application security vulnerabilities.
Oracle (through acquisition) 2007 – December 2011
- Lead redesign to consolidate two separate applications into one, to align with customers’ actual business model.
- Identified, raised, and fixed extensive use case gaps in application’s data integrity before the release of software to the customer.
Agile Software (through acquisition) 2005 – 2007
- Developed ability for customers to create extended data types for use in the application.
- Extended linear optimization engine to run against user defined custom data.
Prodika 2002 – 2005
- Closely collaborated with CEO to flesh out domain requirements for new features.
- Technical domain expert and technical lead on two of the four primary applications in the application suite.
- Rewrote loading of translation items cache and took the loading of the application from a 3 minute load time to under 30 seconds.
- Presented at LambdaConf 2015, ElixirConf 2015, and Big Design 2016
- Run http://www.planeterlang.com, a Planet site for aggregating Erlang and Erlang related content into a single feed
- Co-author of LFE Fridays entries on the Lisp Flavoured Erlang blog.
- Technical Reviewer for the books “Introducing LFE”, “Learning Vertica”, and “The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook”
- Contributor to the book “Clojure Cookbook”
- Presenter at multiple user groups in the Dallas/Fort Worth area
- Hosted the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex’s Coderetreat as part of Global Day of Coderetreat 2011
Masters of Science, Computer Science (Fast-Track), The University of Texas at Dallas, 2005
Bachelors of Science, Computer Science, Cum Laude, The University of Texas at Dallas, 2002
Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux
Development Practices: Scrum, Agile, TDD, Continuous Integration, Refactoring, XP, Pair Programming, DevOps