Long history in small companies working with C-level executives and upper management to flush out preliminary business ideas, and turn those ideas into products, with a experienced eye towards reducing total cost of ownership of the products developed.
- Creator, host, and producer of the podcast Functional Geekery
- Founder and organizer the Dallas/Fort Worth Erlang User Group
- Presented LambdaConf 2015 and ElixirConf 2015
- Run http://www.planeterlang.com, a Planet site for aggregating Erlang and Erlang related content into a single feed
- Technical Reviewer for the books “Introducing LFE”, “Learning Vertica”, and “The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook”
- Publish Erlang Thursday, a blog post series which has been taken up and is translated into Lisp Flavored Erlang by Erlang co-creator Robert Virding
- Contributor to the book “Clojure Cookbook”
- Presenter at multiple user groups in the Dallas/Fort Worth area
- Hosted the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex’s Coderetreat as part of Global Day of Coderetreat 2011
TripCase October 2014 – Present
- Reduced session initialization timings of phone application by a factor of 4
- Automated previously manual tasks, and integrated them into the build process
- Developed features for support team to more quickly and efficiently troubleshoot user’s issues
- Implemented a webservice extracted from Rails app into Erlang using Webmachine and mnesia
- Implemented prototype of IRC style chat server in Elixir’s Phoenix framework and deployed prototype to Heroku
Simpli.fi October 2012 – October 2014
- Improved application’s use of database interactions to result a savings of over 1000 minutes of load intensive processing time every hour.
- Designed and developed web services as part of a Real Time Bidding infrastructure.
- Implemented processes to reduce the number of defects that get deployed to production.
- Instrumented performance metrics to be able to track trends and associate changes in performance with release timings, giving development team early warning of issues.
- Took multiple applications from manual multi-step deployment to a repeatable deploy across multiple servers via a single command for each, drastically reducing the chance of error in deployment.
- Architected solution for traceability of events across multiple systems.
OZ Systems January 2012 – September 2012
- Refurbished reports for over 200,000 students to run from 35 minutes to under 10 seconds.
- Re-architected import system, reducing completion time from 3 days to under 10 minutes.
- Mentored teammates on simplifying object design and composable behavior.
- Identified, and addressed, application security vulnerabilities.
Oracle (through acquisition) 2007 – December 2011
- Lead redesign to consolidate two separate applications into one, to align with customers’ actual business model.
- Identified, raised, and fixed extensive use case gaps in application’s data integrity before the release of software to the customer.
Agile Software (through acquisition) 2005 – 2007
- Developed ability for customers to create extended data types for use in the application.
- Extended linear optimization engine to run against user defined custom data.
Prodika 2002 – 2005
- Closely collaborated with CEO to flesh out domain requirements for new features.
- Technical domain expert and technical lead on two of the four primary applications in the application suite.
- Rewrote loading of translation items cache and took the loading of the application from a 3 minute load time to under 30 seconds.
Masters of Science, Computer Science (Fast-Track), The University of Texas at Dallas, 2005
Bachelors of Science, Computer Science, Cum Laude, The University of Texas at Dallas, 2002
Databases: PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux
Build Tools: git, rake, Perforce, NAnt, CruiseControl.Net
Testing Tools: RSpec, NUnit, MSTest, Selenium IDE, EUnit
Development Practices: Scrum, Agile, TDD, Continuous Integration, Refactoring, XP, Pair Programming, DevOps